Meeting 2: Faith and SpiritualityThis meeting focuses on sharing experiences, beliefs, and questions about faith and Christian spirituality. Using the meeting outline that was decided when you first met, you might consider these ideas and questions to start your conversation:
- Take a moment of silence and think about those moments in your life when you have felt very close to God and when you felt the absence of God. Share your reflections with the group.
- How are your faith and your relationship with God affected by these moments?
- What do you do to nurture your spiritual life?
- What helps you have a sense of God’s presence in your life?
- Is there a particular place or time that draws you nearer to God?
- Reflect on the practice of prayer, reading the Bible, or meditation in your life.
- How have your views or beliefs in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit changed during your faith journey?
- Agree to try some different spiritual practices in the time until the next meeting. Keep a journal or some notes about your reflections that you might share with others.
It was a bit difficult for me to explore and explain my own thoughts in depth since the forum wasn't so much conversational as it was a round table for everyone to share their individual reflections. Probably I should have more intentionally dominated the discussion, although that is easier said than done. But we did have some sparks of deeper conversation, so I definitely feel like my formal discernment is finally moving forward. I am hopeful the others on my committee now have at least some sense of what my faith looks like. And now, it's late and I'm going to bed. Filled with gratitude myself, I leave you with these words from the United Church of Canada's Song of Faith:
Grateful for God’s loving action,we cannot keep from singing.Creating and seeking relationship,in awe and trust,we witness to Holy Mystery who is Wholly Love.Amen.