Tuesday, January 24, 2012

ABCW...brought to you today by the letter "B"

This week's ABC Wednesday letter is B.

Given my crazy schedule this term, I am tempted to say B is for Busy...see you next week!

But I won't! Fortunately I love the path I am on right now, so the busy-ness is not a burden, although it does stretch my organizational and balancing skills! But I digress...my post this week is actually about Bread. In particular, the breaking of bread.

Last term I was on my school's chapel worship committee for one of the weeks when communion (aka Eucharist) was scheduled. We planned a service where we literally gathered at table together. One fellow student was anxious because she was used to a more structured service and she wasn't exactly sure how things were going to flow. We hadn't provided anyone with a service bulletin...we decided to try just being weird Christians together. Hey, the disciples didn't have a bulletin, why should a bunch of divinity students need one?! 


This was the first time I had the privilege of breaking the bread and pouring the wine. Which may not sound very exciting to some of you, but as a candidate for ordered ministry, it was an incredible joy for me. Bread of life, cup of salvation...all is ready, praise be to God. (To be clear, an ordained minister was present, who called upon the Holy Spirit to be upon us and upon these gifts, as required for the sacrament of communion in the United Church of Canada.)

The chapel, as students and faculty began to gather...it is a beautiful space, I love the vaulted wooden ceiling and the way the natural light pours in.

 Soon everyone was seated, then we sang and prayed and told the stories of our ancestors, recalled Jesus' life, death and resurrection...served each other as we broke bread and shared in the wine and the grapes. Then we also shared some of our own faith stories before heading back to classes.

"C" you next week!! Be sure to check out the other ABCW posts, there are some amazingly creative bloggers participating in this challenge!

5 comments:

Annie said...

LOL at "weird Christians" - that's the best kind! This sounds like such a cool experience. I love that chapel too, wonderful light! A great take on B and I'm glad you're not too busy to participate!

Anne said...

Thanks Annie, I got the expression from my faculty adviser, love it! Glad you enjoyed my post and hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this meme, am having fun with it so far :)

menehune said...

Thoughtful post, Anne! I am in love with bringing people together over a meal. Hmmm. reminds me of someone Else!

Trekcapri said...

Hi Anne, a wonderful "B" choice and post. I enjoyed reading about more of your experiences. It sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm looking forward to next week. Have a wonderful week.

Anne said...

thanks m, we got some very positive feedback from classmates afterward, who really appreciated that communal aspect of communion. Bringing it back to basics...one loaf at a time! lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...