Friday, October 29, 2010

Magic skills



To sit patiently with a yearning that has not yet been fulfilled, and to trust that, that fulfillment will come, is quite possibly one of the most powerful "magic skills" that human beings are capable of. It has been noted by almost every ancient wisdom tradition.
- Elizabeth Gilbert

Hey, I'm magic!!  Ok, not so much...but I am sitting smack dab in the middle of that place whereof Ms. Gilbert speaks.  Yearning in the depths of my heart and soul to answer God's call to ministry...trusting that fulfillment will come, in spite of the slow moving wheels of church process.  I cannot move forward in my formal journey until my official 12 month discernment period ends and my Discernment Committee recommends me as a Candidate for Ministry.  Nearly 9 of my 12 months have gone by already and we have only met once so far (and that was basically just an initial meet and greet).  Argh.  Did I mention the wheels of the church move slooooowly??  I must admit, I was unprepared for that...in my naivity, I imagined the Church would be far more Spirit led than process driven.  Oh silly me!  Which makes this a good learning experience, to be honest.  Best to know the world I am getting myself into by seeking to become a minister within said Church.

In the meantime...here I sit in my place of yearning...swirling with light and longing.  Perhaps not with patience, but certainly with trust.  Trust that the Spirit is present in the midst of all the delays and bureaucracy, trust that my journey will eventually lead me to wherever God is calling me to be.  And what could be more fulfilling than that?




5 comments:

Trekcapri said...

Hi Anne, beautiful photos and it goes so well with the place you describe to be in on your journey. I love the quote.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Annie said...

I love this: "perhaps not with patience but certainly with trust." What a great place to be! Love the photos and the quote. Looking forward to the next update about this journey!

Anne said...

Kathy, as soon as I read this quotation, the top photo came to mind. I'd taken a month or so ago, and love the swirl of blue and light.

Annie, my second meeting is scheduled for this coming week, so I am hopeful things will finally start to move forward!

menehune said...

Trust ... such an abstract but powerful term, no? I love this quote. Is it taken from her book?

Anne said...

menehune, I'm not sure. I don't recall reading it in the book, and the site where I read it just says her name and no other source. When I re-read the book, I will keep my eyes open for this line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...