Thursday, October 14, 2010

What shall we have for supper?

That is the question!

My typical response is: well...what do we have?  I never know what I want until I have a look around and something strikes my fancy.  Having to decide in advance is a horrible chore in my mind!  In fact, when Dave is going to make supper and asks what I want, I usually growl if I have to figure out what we're having, I may as well make it myself!  And I'm not even joking...how sad is that? :)

Happily my habit of dishing up whatever catches my eye is quite often very successful.  My concoctions are (almost) always edible, and frequently very tasty.  Like this evening...

I open the freezer and peer at the choices.  Aha, those little pork tenderloins look good.  Hmm,but what to do with them.  I open the refrigerator and spy a splash of colour...red, yellow and orange peppers.  Ooo, pork and pepper stir fry sounds tempting!  I also grab out a honeycrisp apple and an onion.  Long grain rice seems appealing as a base, so I get that started while I chop up the rest of the ingredients. While the pork is sauteeing (is that a word?), I remember a pork stew recipe that had prunes in it...so I toss in a few of those as well.  Once the pork is cooked and the veggies tender crisp, I add the chopped apple and pour in a mix of water, corn starch and cider vinegar to make a bit of a glaze.  Finally I round things off with a large dollop of my home made red pepper jelly (which contains jalapenos for a little kick).

Yum, said Dave.  I agree, said I.  And - get this - I even thought to take photos (clearly the Slow Travel food obsession has seeped into my consciousness on some level! lol)




4 comments:

Annie said...

It looks wonderful! I love cooking on the fly without a recipe (though I've had some disasters LOL).

Have a great weekend.

Lynn said...

Wow! That looks and sounds quite fabulous. Think I'll steal your recipe... Well, "recipe" is probably a little too formal to describe your free-spirited way of cooking. Allow me to revise my thieving calculations and say that I will hijack your idea for a wonderful concoction!

Anne said...

Annie, tis true this method is not foolproof! But so much more fun than following a recipe!

Lynn, hijack away! Shall I look forward to sampling your version of this one of these days?! :o)

nancyhol said...

I think "on the fly" meals turn out to be our best creations. At least most of the time they do . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...